Visiting Australia: Medical Treatment Short Stay Visa (Subclass 602)

Sometimes, the best treatment for certain diseases may not be in your home country. And Australia is a go-to spot for foreigners seeking for better medical care. After all, Australia’s healthcare system is ranked number 2 in the developed world in a recent study done by American researchers.


With this knowledge, how can you get one of the best treatments available as a foreigner? The Australian Government offers Medical Treatment Visa (Subclass 602) for you.


Who is This Visa for?


The Medical Treatment Visa (Subclass 602) allows you to enter Australia for medical services.


This visa is for you if you are either traveling:

  •      For medical treatment and consultations
  •      To support someone needing medical treatment who holds or applied for this visa
  •      To donate an organ

You must NOT have a medical condition hazardous to the public. And you should not be a holder of Visa Subclass 426 and Visa Subclass 403 (Domestic Worker Stream).


In applying for the visa, the applicant should prove that you are financially fit to support yourself and the treatment for the duration of the trip.


Also, you must meet health requirements and character requirements for visa approval.


What Can You Do With This Visa?


Aside from the medical treatment period, this visa allows you to study for up to three months in Australia. Also, it allows you to stay in Australia until the treatment is completed or go back-and-forth while your visa is valid.


What are the Costs and Length of Stay?


Generally, your period of stay will depend on the period of treatment.


If you applied for the visa outside Australia, there will be no cost for the visa application. And the length of stay is usually up to 3 months.


If you applied for the visa inside Australia, you are charged $285 AUD for the application. But the length of stay is usually granted for up to 12 months.


It is important to note that this cost does not include health assessments, police certificates, and other certificates or tests. It is best to ask immigration for additional requirements that you might need.


With that, I hope you get well soon. Welcome to Australia!

Rica J

I am a mother, a wife and a technology loving Filipina who loves reading hi-fiction books (dragons!) , good stories, dancing, laughter, lying on the grass and eating balut. I am born and raised in the Philippines and now resides in Australia but finds myself in the Philippines for at least 3 months a year. I am part of the Filipino Australian Community and have been living between Australia and the Philippines since 2007.