If you love carbo-loading on hot, white rice as much as the next Pinoy, you’ll enjoy Pigar Pigar. This fragrant, meaty dish is a favorite among the good people of Dagupan, Pangasinan, where they even hold a festival featuring the celebrated street food every year.
Not only is Pigar Pigar easy to make, but its ingredients can also be found in any major Australian supermarket. Go on and try this recipe out the next time you’re craving for something delicious to serve over freshly-cooked rice.
How to Cook Pigar Pigar
Ingredients (Available at any Cole’s, Woolworth’s, or IGA branch near you )
- 500g beef, sliced thinly
- 150g beef liver, sliced thinly
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Half a head of cabbage, chopped
- Combine soy sauce, salt and black pepper in deep bowl. Add beef and liver slices, and marinate for at least one hour.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pan, and then add the beef and liver slices. Saute until the sides crisp up.
- Remove the beef and then quickly add the sliced onions and cabbage to the pan.
- Stir-fry the vegetables until they’re cooked thoroughly.
- Turn off the heat, add the beef and liver slices, and mix well.
- Serve piping hot atop rice and enjoy!