How to Obtain a Partnership Visa for Filipinos in Australia?

There are a lot of Filipinos who are now living in Australia. With the “Filipino Charm”, it’s inevitable to fall head over heels with our Kababayan. When relationships prosper, you move towards the next milestone, Marriage.


After your qualms for forever, deciding to tie the not comes with an added benefit. The Australian Embassy allows a “Partnership Visa” to cultivate your, hopefully, perennial relationship.


Related post: Document Checklist for Australian Partner Visa


For Filipinos who are already in Australia, an Onshore Temporary (Subclass 820) and Permanent (Subclass 801) allows you to stay in Australia on the basis of your marriage and de facto relationship with your partner, your partner who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.


This visa is applicable for:

  • People intending to get married (fiancés)

  • Married (de jure) partners

  • De facto partners (including same-sex relationships)


How this Visa works


As a partner or fiancé of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, the partnership visa application must be lodged following all the requirements to be assessed against the legal criteria for the grant of the partnership visa.


Their partner must be the sponsor.


You can simultaneously apply for both temporary and a permanent visa by completing and lodging one application for the partnership visa.


How much would this cost?


The partnership visa for subclass 820 and subclass 801 more or less will cost you $10,000.00. For more information on the fees, you can visit the Australian Immigration Website for their visa-pricing estimator.


Legal Criteria

  Legal Criteria  

These are the following legal criteria that you and your partner should meet in order to be granted the permanent partnership visa:


Prior to your lodging of the partnership visa application, you must be married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand resident.


At the time of your application, you have been married to your partner for three years or more or you have been married to your partner for two years and there is a child during those years.


Your marriage must be legal under the Australian law.


If you were married in another country and that marriage is valid in that country, it will be recognized as valid.


During this time, you and your partner must show a mutual commitment to a shared life as husband and wife. You and your partner must be living together. If not, any separation must only be temporary.  You must also have a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner.


If you meet all the legal criteria for the grant of the visa, a Temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820) is granted.  This temporary partnership visa remains valid until a decision is made on your permanent visa.


What if you lodged your Visa (subclass 820), but your current Visa is expiring?


You are given a Bridging Visa-A (BVA) upon application of your Visa Subclass 820. This visa allows you to stay in Australia while your temporary visa is being processed. But then, you are not allowed to leave Australia and re-enter with just this visa. Just apply for a Bridging Visa-B (BVB) to be able to leave and re-enter the country.


Both visas allow you to work, study, and enroll in Medicare while in Australia.


What to Do While on Waiting Period


While waiting for the approval of the partnership visa, Filipinos in Australia can do the following:

  • You can still work.

  • You can still study in Australia, but you will not have access to government funding tertiary study and will be charged international upfront fees.

  • You can enroll in Australia’s medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme or Medicare.

  • You can stay with their partner until a decision is made regarding the permanent visa.


It usually takes two years after you initially applied for your visa.


After the waiting period, if you and your partner still meet all the legal requirements at the start of your application. You will be granted a Permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801).


With that, Welcome to the Land Down Under!


Disclaimer: This entry aims to be an informative article that is accurate at the time of writing. It may be deemed obsolete, whether in part or in whole, when new visa rulings are announced. We advise you to consult your Visa expert.

Leandro Eclipse

Leandro Eclipse is an entrepreneur who loves to travel. He believes in building multiple Location-Independent Sources of Income. Because if you are going to work anyway, might as well do it while exploring the world. Self-proclaimed foodie and tech geek. Follow him on IG @mikoeclipse.


Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *