How to Acquire the Skilled-Regional Visa – Subclass 489

Australia has great opportunities to offer to those who seek it. The opportunities in working and living in this country depends on the Visa you will choose as an entry point for better opportunities.  Among them The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489), this visa is for skilled workers.


The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)


The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) is for skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in specified regional areas in Australia for four years.


There are two pathways for this visa namely:

  • Invited Pathway

  • The Extended Stay – must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.


Note: For families who are included in your visa application (either visa pathways), they must be a family member of someone who already holds this visa (subclass 489) or a provisional visa subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.




You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited and you are either :

  • Nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government Agency

  • Sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.


What This Visa Allow You to Do?

What This Visa Allow You to Do

Image Credit: 123rf


This visa allows you and your family to stay in Australia up to four years.

  1. Live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia.

  2. Travel in and out of Australia while visa is valid.

  3. This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence the Skilled-Regional (Residence) Visa (subclass 887).


Each State or Territory government agency has its own process for nominating expressions of interest, some agencies contact people directly, and others wait for people to contact them. You can find more information on their websites:

  • New South Wales

  • Northern Territory

  • Queensland

  • South Australia

  • Tasmania

  • Victoria

  • Western Australia


How to Get This Visa?

  How to Get This Visa?  

For Invited Pathway


You can submit an expression of interest at


You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited and you are either:

  • nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency, or

  • sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.


When they sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:

  • been nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area

  • nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list

  • a suitable skills assessment for that occupation,

  • not yet turned 50 years of age

  • achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test

  • at least competent English.


Your invitation is based on the claims made in your expression of interest. Your application must achieve at least the score specified in your invitation to apply when assessed against the points test.


State and Territory government agencies can view your expression of interest in SkillSelect and decide whether to nominate you for a visa. Each state or territory has a list of occupations that guides the types of skills they are looking for.


In your expression of interest, you can indicate your interest in just one State or Territory, or you can choose to be available to all States and Territories. If you accept a nomination, the States and Territories might require you to:

  • live in the nominating State or Territory for at least two years

  • tell the State or Territory your address, both before and after you arrive in Australia

  • be prepared to complete surveys and provide information they ask for

  • meet any other requirements.


Requirements for This Application

Requirements for This Application

Image Credit: Shutterstock


You and your family members must also meet Australia’s health and character requirements.


Health requirements


You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.


This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application.


You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.


Character requirements


You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.


This also applies to all dependent family members listed in the application, whether they are migrating or not.


Debts to the Australian Government


You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.


Provide biometrics


You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.


Sign the Australian values statement


If you are older than 18 years of age, you must sign an Australian Values Statement to confirm that you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws. The statement is included in the visa application form. You must have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia book before you sign the statement.


For the Extended Stay Pathway


You might be eligible to apply for the Extended Stay Pathway if you are the skilled worker who has held one of the following visas and complied with all visa conditions, for at least two years before applying for this visa:

  • provisional Skilled—Independent Regional visa (subclass 495)

  • provisional Skilled—Designated Area Sponsored Provisional visa (subclass 496)

  • provisional Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475)

  • provisional Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 487)


You must have never held more than one of the above visas.


For Sponsorship

For Sponsorhip

Image Credit: 123rf

You can sponsor an eligible relative for this visa if:

  • you are at least 18 years of age

  • you live in a designated area of Australia

  • you are an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.


The relative or the relative’s partner you want to sponsor must be your:

  • child or stepchild

  • parent or step-parent

  • brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle

  • grandparent or first cousin.


Your sponsor should provide certain documents as listed in the document checklist.


Related post: How Do Australian Family Visa Sponsorship Work Exactly?


As a sponsor, you are agreeing to support the applicant and help them settle in Australia. Please visit for more information regarding sponsorship on this visa.


How Much Does This Visa Cost?


Visit website for the total cost of this Visa.

Rica J

I am a mother, a wife and a technology loving Filipina who loves reading hi-fiction books (dragons!) , good stories, dancing, laughter, lying on the grass and eating balut. I am born and raised in the Philippines and now resides in Australia but finds myself in the Philippines for at least 3 months a year. I am part of the Filipino Australian Community and have been living between Australia and the Philippines since 2007.

  • Leave A Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *