Everything You Need to Know About The Philippine Travel Tax


The Philippines imposes a levy for people who travel outside the Philippines for tourism and travel purposes.


Travel Taxes are managed by the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA).


This tax was implemented under the Philippine Presidential decree 1183 and imposes on citizens, permanent resident aliens (with certain immigration status) and nonresident aliens who stayed for more than a year.


The said tax is set to different prices and exemptions because the government considers the OFWs, Balikbayans, and Filipinos holding permanent residencies in other countries.


In general, those who are first class passengers are required to pay PHP 2,700 and PHP 1,620 for those in economy class while minors pay a reduced amount of PHP 1,350 or PHP 810 respectively. Dependents of OFWs pay a privileged reduce rate of PHP 400 and PHP 300.


Income generated from taxes collected are divided amongst TIEZA, Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) and Commission on Higher Education (CHED).


There are exemptions to this tax. Below are the list of exempted individuals :

  • Foreign diplomatic representatives

  • Employees of the United Nations organizations and its agencies

  • Citizens authorized by the President of the Philippines

  • Philippine foreign service personnel assigned abroad and their dependents

  • Government employees on official travel

  • Grantees of foreign government funded trips

  • Students with approved scholarship by appropriate government agency

  • International carrier crew

  • Filipino Overseas Contract Workers

  • Filipinos with permanent resident visas outside of the Philippines  (staying less than a year in the Philippines)

  • Balikbayan staying for less than one year

  • Family members accompanying former Filipinos

  • Infants (2 years old below)

  • Personnels of Philippine offices of multinational companies not engage in business in the Philippines (also includes their dependents)

  • US Military personnel and dependents including US citizens who travelled in US owned or chartered vehicles or transport fees paid for by the US government

Let us look at the documents required for some of the circumstance that may fit most of us:


Students with approved scholarship

  • certification from concerned government agency


Permanent Resident Visa Holders (Of countries other than the Philippines)

  • documents showing proof of permanent residence or a certification of residence

  • ID page of passport

  • stamp showing last arrival date in the country.

  • Visa Sticker

  • When Visa Sticker is not available, VEVO print outs (for anyone with PR in Australia).



  • ID pages of passport

  • stamp of last departure from and arrival to the Philippines (should be less than a year)

  • ticket used in travelling to the Philippines


Family members accompanying former Filipinos

  • passport of former Filipino or proof of former Filipino citizenship

  • marriage certificate for accompanying spouse

  • birth certificate or adoption papers of accompanying children



  • original passport or birth certificate

  • photocopy of passport ID page

if your child is above 2 years old but not over 12, they can avail of reduced tax rate.


If you fall under a different category, check this link here.


You need to apply for the exemption through one of the TIEZA offices found at the airport or in different parts of the country.  Just make sure that you pay before holidays as offices may be closed.


Exemptions are not granted automatically, each application cost PHP 200.


If exemptions do not apply for you yet and you bought your ticket overseas or online, you would need to visit TIEZA office to pay for your travel tax.


If the ticket was purchased from the Philippines, you can pay for it through your airline or travel agency.


Online transactions are also available now (although I have not tried it). If this is working well then it would be a great addition for TIEZA’s service.  You can register by inputting personal and flight details as an individual or as a group. Payment can be made through  Visa or Bancnet.


Paying for the travel tax online will be one thing less to worry about at the airport, so it might be a good thing to try the service.


Although be wary of some snags that you may encounter – I think this is a new service and it may not be as smooth flowing as what you may be used to in Australia’s online services.  If you wish to see the Pay Travel Tax Online page, simply click here.


Do not forget to read their Step By Step Guide.

Candice C

Candice is a school teacher and a mother, She loves writing about practical guides and of course, parenting advice.

  • Leave A Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *