Compilation of Pathways: How to Get your Permanent Visa in Australia

DISCLAIMER: All information contained herein are as of press time and are thus subject to changes without prior notice. As the iRemit blog is merely a resource for information rather than an authority on immigration matters, readers are still encouraged to seek professional counsel.  

Expect a challenging time with permanent visas. Visa 457 has been abolished in March 2018.


Visa 457: the pathway for most workers to permanent residency. Its abolishment will supposedly pave the way for more jobs to Australian citizens. It will now be replaced with the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa.


It may be both boon or bane. But what’s for sure is that there will be stricter rules to get that elusive permanent visa thereafter.


But worry not; we are here to give you all the available pathways to permanent visa as of writing! These are the ways to get your permanent visa in Australia.


Work-Related Pathways

Work-Related Pathways

If you already have an existing Visa 457 or if you are lucky enough to snatch that TSS visa, good for you. As of the moment, this is what everybody can apply for:


For those who had their visa 457 (applied for it on or before April 18, 2017), the previous rules will apply. The age requirement is still at under 50 years old. And the work experience requirement will still remain at two out of the three years.


But for those with the Visa 457 (April 19, 2017 onward application), it is important to note the major changes under the visa 457 transition stream subclass 186 and 187. You need to work for the employer for 3 years now (instead of the prior 2 years). And you must be under 45 years old at the time of application.


And starting March 2018, those that will be applying for a TSS Visa will have the same requirements (April 19, 2017 onwards). But your employer has to pay $3000 (for small businesses: annual turnover $10 million) or $5000 (for other businesses) to the Skilling Australian’s Fund. This fund aims to train Australian citizens to be more competent in the labor force.


You must also be paid the minimum salary market rate ($53,900 as at April 12, 2016) and you must serve a residency period and relevant work experience of at least three years.


And one last thing, your occupation should be listed in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). Occupations under the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) are not allowed to be a permanent resident. The STSOL visas can only be extended onshore for another 2 years.


Business and Investment Related Pathways

Business and Investment Related Pathways

If you are blessed with entrepreneurial skills, this direction may be for you. You can snag a permanent visa with these pathways:

  • Business Talent (subclass 132)

  • Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888)


You can start off with Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188). And after meeting the standard capital and residency requirements, you can move forward to permanent residency.


If you have a prior temporary business visa (subclass 160-165), you can apply for these permanent visas:

  • Business Owner (subclass 890)

  • Investor Visa (subclass 891)

  • State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (subclass 892)

  • State/Territory Sponsored Investor (subclass 893)


But then temporary visa subclass 160-165 is now closed for new applications. Although just in case you already have one, you can still follow the path above and even apply this subclass 160-165 for your dependent children.


Family Related Pathways

  Family Related Pathways

If you have relatives abroad, you might get a permanent residency depending on your relationship with them. These are the types that can help you earn one.


Spouse and Child



  • Parent and Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 103 and 143)

  • Aged Parent and Contributory Aged Parent Visa (subclass 804 and 864)




Refugee and Emergency Rescue Related Pathways

  Refugee and Emergency Rescue Related Pathways

This may not be applicable to everyone. But just in case, these are the refugee visas given by Australia.

  • Refugee (subclass 200)

  • Women at Risk (subclass 204)

  • Emergency Rescue (subclass 203)

  • In-Country Special Humanitarian Visa (subclass 201)

  • Protection Visa (subclass 866)


Under the Migration Act 1958, it is part of Australian law to provide refugees protection and to ensure that they won’t be returned to a place of persecution. With these visas, they are protected. And if this applies, you can be too.




If you want to find other options, these are extra pathways that might interest you.

  • Former Resident’s Visa (subclass 151)

  • Distinguished Talents Visa (subclass 124 and 858)


If you were a resident on your early years, you can apply for a Former Resident’s Visa (subclass 151). Non-Australian citizens who have spent 9 years in Australia before turning 18 can get back permanently with subclass 151.


Also if you’re spectacularly good in a certain sport, profession, academia, and the arts, a distinguished talent visa (subclass 124 and 858) might be for you. If you are internationally recognized, all you need to do is to get a nomination and lodge your visa application.




There are many ways to live in Australia for the long run. I hope this guide helps you find the best way for your family! Good Luck! *Cross Fingers*

Leandro Eclipse

Leandro Eclipse is an entrepreneur who loves to travel. He believes in building multiple Location-Independent Sources of Income. Because if you are going to work anyway, might as well do it while exploring the world. Self-proclaimed foodie and tech geek. Follow him on IG @mikoeclipse.

  • Leave A Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *