We need consistent affection in our lives. It may be from our friends, our children, and our relatives. But one furry canine stands out. Our dogs serve us with unconditional love and excitement at their every waking moment.
It’s like you are revered regardless of the time, day, and your state. Imagine hugging a smelly loved one. For sure, you hesitated. But our dogs wouldn’t.
And they are more than just pets. In fact, science says dogs make owners happier and healthier. In exchange for their frantic love to us, we give them the best we can give. The best food. The best shelter. Some even name trust funds for their canine best friend.
But speaking of food, with all the lavishness we can give them, are you aware that so many dangerous foods are there for our best buds? Yes! Before you accidentally feed them some, these are 15 dangerous foods for your dog you probably don’t know off.
This expensive fruit is a no-no for our dogs. It contains persin which is not that lethal to humans. But when ingested by our mutts, it can induce vomiting or diarrhea.
Grapes and Raisins
As of the moment, the exact substances in grapes that are toxic to dogs are not yet discovered. But the point is, it can be fatal to them. Some dogs can experience acute kidney failure. If they accidentally ingested one, better let them vomit it out and take them to the vet immediately.
Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums
With this food group, the problem is not in the meat but the seeds inside it. The seeds from persimmons, peaches, and plums can cause inflammation in their intestines. To add, the seeds from peaches and plums contain cyanide, which is lethal to both humans and dogs. The difference is, dogs would just munch on everything when you give it to them. So be wary.
Apple Seeds and Cores
The same as the persimmon group. The seeds and core of the apple are risky for our pooch. It also contains cyanide and may cause dilated pupils, difficulty in breathing, or even death over time.
Tomato and Potato (leaves, stems, skin, or any green parts)
This may seem to be harmless but the leaves and stems of both potatoes and tomatoes have Solanine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and cardiac arrhythmias especially if it’s raw. For potatoes, the amount of Solanine in the meat drops when you cook it. But better give this on sparing and occasional amounts if at all.
Onions, Garlic, Chives, and Leeks of the Allium family
We love our onions and garlic in our food. But our canine buddies wouldn’t want it in the long run. Poisoning from this food items result in damage to their red blood cells and gastroenteritis. It may also lead to anemia and respiratory problems.
The signs of poisoning might not be immediate. So better be careful.
Macadamia Nuts and Black Walnuts
Nuts are generally scary to feed to our beloved dogs. Special mention to both Macadamia and Walnuts.
Macadamia nuts, similar to grapes, are known to have an unexplained poisoning effect on dogs. Even small amounts can be fatal. Symptoms that can occur are diarrhea, vomiting, and fevers.
In general, walnuts are not fatal. But the Black walnuts variant is toxic for our furry friends especially the mold on the husk, the nut, and on the bark of walnut trees. It produces a neurotoxin that can cause seizures.
For sure, you have other treats on hand. If you don’t want to go nuts, just skip the nuts.
We all know this. Chocolate is lethal to our mutts. It has the substances called methylxanthines (theobromine). This stimulant causes diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. The more potent the chocolate is (like dark cocoa) the more toxic it is.
Raw Eggs, Fish, and Meat
Although these food classes are debatable, it’s good to be aware of its potential dangers. Giving raw food to your dogs, like us, have certain risks because of bacteria still present compared to cooked food.
For one, some meat might be already infected by salmonella or e.coli from meat. Raw eggs can cause skin conditions and raw fish can have parasites in it.
The point is, it’s in the preparation of the food. If you really want to give raw food, better handle it properly before you give out. Or just pass on it and go with the cooked ones.
The Artificial Sweetener Xylitol
If you really like sweets, chances are you have eaten something artificially sweetened. The artificial sweetener Xylitol is commonly used in candies, gums, peanut butter, and baked goods.
Xylitol is quickly absorbed and causes the pancreas to go haywire. It might lead to a drop in blood sugar and liver failure. A study says it might even be deadlier than chocolates.
Symptoms might include seizures, vomiting, and lethargy.
Alcohol and Yeast
I know you really like to live luxuriously. But your dog does not need your alcohol or wine. Alcohol can cause the dog to vomit, diarrhea, breathing problems, and even death, especially on smaller dogs.
And the same as alcohol, yeast can cause gastrointestinal problems. Raw bread has ethanol and has the same effect as being drunk.
We all know that salt might be bad for you. And the same is the case for dogs. Dogs can be dehydrated if you feed it too much. At worse, salt can give the condition called sodium ion poisoning. It will make your dog thirst for more water and urinate more.
Symptoms of excessive salt consumption can be vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. So be wary of the saltiness in sight.
Milk, Cheese, and Other Dairy Products
We really like dairy products. The sip of milk in the morning or that cheese-induced Parmigiana. It feels like heaven.
But you don’t need to hasten your dog’s time to heaven with dairy milk products. Dog’s do not have built-in enzyme to break down milk. And many dogs are lactose intolerant.
It can cause them to vomit, have diarrhea, and gastrointestinal diseases. Leave the daily produce behind.
That daily dose of caffeine might be your daily starter. But it is a no-no for your dogs. Whether it’s from your coffee, tea, soda, beans, and face mask (?), any form of caffeine is bad when ingested by our pups.
It may cause them hyperactivity, vomiting, tremors, hypertension, and even death. So keep it to yourself.
This might be obvious but your medicine is designed for humans, not for dogs. If you find that they are sick, do not give them your ibuprofens and over-the-counter medicine. Better consult a veterinarian.
With that, I hope we can take care of our lifelong best friends accordingly. Eat Proper. Eat healthily. Ciao!